4.25.2012

at dusk on a wednesday


* maren floated down the stairs one day with this wig on her head. my friend helen & i laughed forever.
* the girls have started randomly yelling "whu-BAM!" at appropriate (and inappropriate) moments.
* i just started the last book of the zion covenant series. i've liked it a lot.
* i am gardening with bliss and abandon.
* the baby will show up about the same time as the tomatoes.
* the garden primer and square foot gardening make me feel like i have an inkling what i am doing.
* we started composting again. holes drilled into a garbage can with a locking lid, rolled around in the yard every few days.
* there is a doorway of juniper that leads from one part of the backyard to another. it makes me think of narnia.
* i started making my to-do lists in pencil. that way i can erase the stuff that didn't get done and i don't care about at the end of the day anyway.
* i am making a ridiculous cake for book group tomorrow.
* i am getting huge.
* this is not an exaggeration.
* if this is what a third pregnancy is like, i'm a little nervous about the fourth.
* i don't believe anyone who tells me it's just because it's a boy this time.
* i loved michelle duggar's post on letting go of expectations.
 * we finally caved and bought a blender.
* this has thrown us into the daily quest for smoothie nirvana.
* have you tried putting an avocado in a smoothie? it's incredible.
* i am burying myself in books until nice weather comes back: organic body care, simple modern sewing, natural health, last child in the woods.
* i totally pre-ordered some ed emberley to make some pants for the boy. kid needs clothes, right? that's what i thought.
* i think we're all caught up now. how are you?

5 comments:

April said...

I laughed SO HARD when I saw that first picture. It's perfect!!!!!

Rachel said...

Glad to see you back Amanda! The wig is hysterical! And great idea about the avocado in a smoothie, must try that. Have you had baked avocado fries? I've yet to make any, but recently saw a recipe and girl do they look delish!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering what type of garbage can you used. We have attempted to compost but it hasn't worked like I thought (as most things don't). And I seriously doubt you are getting very huge. Maren was too funny!

Diane said...

Oh little M, could you be any cuter!? And yes, Narnia, for sure. I love knowing what you're up to! And I doubt you're as big as you feel, we're our harshest critics. Thanks for sharing the expectations post. It's something I've heard before from John Lund. He talks about how we're unhappy when we have unmet expectations, so if we're going to have them we have to communicate them as well. But I'd never thought of just giving up expectations. I guess I've done it though. When J and E were really tiny, I had to give up my expectation of a clean house. We had toys everywhere and crumbs all over the floor, but once I let go of worrying about that, I was a happier mama and I enjoyed my kids even more.

Nicole said...

1. I LOVE the "whu-BAM". I might have to start saying that more myself. ; )

2. Speaking of ridiculous cakes, you'd appreciate this one, methinks:
http://pinterest.com/pin/7388786858939855/

...Or, from the original source:
http://sweetapolita.com/2012/01/how-to-make-an-asparagus-cake-a-tutorial/