8.23.2011

gallery: tulle

If I owe you an email or a phone call or a visit or a carrier pigeon or anything like that, you should blame it on the tulle.

Our Battalion (Army) Ball is coming up in a few weeks, and it is crunch time as far as dresses go. I was going into this ridiculous longing/despair/anger cycle about not being able to find something that is at once modest, affordable, and fabulous 
(and I am so not in the mood to sew a ball gown). 

And then it hit me. Tulle. 

Wonderfully, Etsy is crawling with fabulous vintage tulle dresses, though modest and affordable dresses still elude me.
Some of my fave candidates for modestification:







That last one is, like, my dream dress. It has sleeves, for pete's sake. 
But the price tag makes me go ha-gullllp. (More of my favorites right here.)

So, question for you: if you were to go with a minty-colored sleeveless vintage tulle dress, but needed sleeves, how would you make it modest? 
(Not a black shrug.)

Also, our visit with Grandma + Grandpa was totally rad. 
I got a great video of my mom crashing into the  TV cabinet while dancing ballet, but I think she might kill me if I posted it here.



9 comments:

Jeni Baker said...

Oh my GOSH! That last one is so gorgeous! They're all beautiful! :)

cateoh said...

How about a scarf shaped piece of fabric (tulle, chiffon, pashmina) over your shoulders then under your arms and tied at the back?

arajane said...

i am totally in love with the green cross-over topped one! for modesty, i would do some kind of contrasty, maybe slightly sparkly shawl that you could throw across your shoulders all jaunty-like.

Jillian said...

Gee, if it were winter, I'd go with a lined cape because it'd be elegant and warm. But we're talking about now, right? PLEASE DON'T PUT A WHITE T-SHIRT ON UNDERNEATH THEM. Sorry, I used all caps, but, uh...pet peeve when I see some amazing dresses ruined that way. A pretty cream-colored shawl would be pretty, a wide scarf that could be wrapped around would look nice on many of these, or this shrug (not black, or tacky... http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/466604419-Wedding-gowns-cape-horn-sleeve-shawl-satin-shawls-jackets-drape-shawls-Bolero-Jackets-Organza-Bridal-Jacke-wholesalers.html )

Or something like this http://www.greatlookz.com/product/3DAB01/SALE-Victorian-Ivory-Floral-Lace-and-Satin-Shawl.html

I have more thoughts, but I have to take two kiddos to school in the morning (AAAAAAAACK!) and my computer is making my answer really slow going.

April said...

Those are fabulous! My favorite is the beige with the polka dot/lace overlay.

Anonymous said...

Why be modest? It's a ball ~ kee hee :)

Amanda Fetters said...

I know, it's tempting. :) Since you asked, though -- the reason why I need a modest dress is because I am an endowed member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Among other things, that means that I wear special undergarments (always - except when bathing/swimming, of course) that need to stay covered up. The garments are a protection as well as a reminder of the promises I have made.

Not to mention that the battalion commander's wife specifically said, "no boobs, no butts." hee hee

Diane said...

Ooo! I really like the first shrug Jillian suggested. It even keeps with a vintage vibe! I know you'll come up with something fabulous! I can't wait to see it.

Melanie said...

I love the choices! They are all so fun! I had a few friends in high school that used the shawls that came with the strapped/less dresses to make a draped-like sleeve on top of shoulders and down that worked really well.