6.08.2012

being good


We took a friend to her doctor's appointment the other day and my kids were freakishly good. It was like they were drugged (they weren't). Maren rounded up all the teddy bears and sucked her thumb. Lizzy drew. I read a book. And that was it. I just sort of wanted to document that, 'cause if stuff goes for you anything like it usually goes for me in doctors' offices, there are usually lots of pleadings, bribes, and straight up threats going down in the course of a normal visit.


There was also a very long car ride involved, for which they were complete angels. They deserved some serious ice cream after all that (besides that I just wanted some ice cream), but then after such a long time of beings soooooo good, they were catfighting and screaming at each other within 30 seconds of getting home and walking in the front door. I am totally not exaggerating. So I got really mad and put them in time out and gave them a stern lecture.


My kids are good. They really are (their Sunday school teachers are probably secretly reading this and snorting their milk out their noses right about now). But I think the not-good moments tend to cast long shadows. When they're mouthy or disobedient or fighting for 2 minutes, I swiftly and easily forget about the 2 hours they just spent being awesome.

That cold I was congratulating myself about the other day? It's morphed into a full-blown sinus infection. And I have morphed into a full-blown phsychobeast mama. My behavior towards my children has not been laudable for the past 2 days. I expect so much perfection out of my children in so many ways, all. the. time. Yet Heavenly Father forgives me again and again -- most of the time without the time outs and the lectures. He forgives me for my shortcomings, my mistakes, my unabashed rebellions -- and then gently leads me back to where I need to be. Again and again. He refreshes me -- encourages me -- builds me up. He helps me to see clearly. Again and again.

"Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."

5 comments:

childishkim said...

wow. grown up girls. Are they ready for brother?

Erin Bigler said...

Well done! I am pretty sure they were sweet little dollies at the drs office because you taught them to be.

Keep it up. Or as my dad always says, "Work Hard. Do Good."

Jillian said...

"When they're mouthy or disobedient or fighting for 2 minutes, I swiftly and easily forget about the 2 hours they just spent being awesome."

I'm remembering this line for always. It is so true for me as well. Thanks.

Diane said...

I love this post A! I realize I often forget to praise my kids for their amazing-ness. I, like you, expect almost perfection. I have to keep reminding myself, "Sheesh! They're only 4 & 5! I'm 29 and I still throw fits. I guess they should be allowed a few more than me." Love your guts! Get feeling better soon.

The Ahumadas said...

Wow, I needed to read this post today. Thanks for reading my mind, and then telling me exactly what I needed to hear. You're the best!