6.05.2012

witch-doctoring: the common cold


Last week I caught a cold. I have to say that about 3% of me was excited that I got sick so that I could see whether any of this herbal mumbo jumbo I've been reading about would actually work. I made some elderberry-honey syrup and also found a beautiful recipe in Ms. Bellebuono's book for a cold + flu tea involving lemon balm, echinacea, elder, licorice, mint, and lots of other little tasties. So, tea + syrup + miso soup... I still experienced cold symptoms, but the duration and severity was definitely less than usual. I can roll with that. Chalk one up for the herbs, baby.


Smaller bags of store-bought herbs go in the kitchen, but this is where I keep herbs that I've harvested and dried myself. Raspberry from the backyard, plantain and violet from the edge of the woods, mullein and dandelion from the abandoned community garden, clover from the vacant lot. I also keep valerian in there, triple-bagged inside a glass jar and it still stinks. I haven't worked up the courage to try it yet.

Andrea's series on creating a kitchen pharmacy has been majorly inspiring me lately and giving me a lot of needed confidence where herbalism is concerned. I love that she writes (as do several other well-known herbalists) about how herbalism and modern western medicine don't have to be at odds, but can complement and strengthen each other -- how each are valuable and have their place and purpose. I wholeheartedly believe that and don't place one above another, but it is comforting to know that if my kid is stung by a bee, I know which weed to grab from the backyard to make it feel better. That I can make some tea to soothe a sore throat in the middle of the night. That we've got the right herbs in store to fix indigestion or headache or insomnia without having to pop a pill. I really believe the Lord has provided everything we need on His beautiful earth; we just have to learn how to use it all in the way He intended.

"And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man -- every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving."

2 comments:

Diane said...

Such happy colors near your little pharmacy!

Jillian said...

Valerian DOES stink! When my dad would take the time to make his own pills (gelatin capsules + ground root), I'd always ask who forgot to wear socks in their sneakers (5 brothers). Phew!

What would you use it for? I've only known it as a mild sedative.