9.22.2011

preserves


It's been a while since I canned anything --
But the siren call of the local apples
(and the grapes, too)
was too much to resist.
That and I found a still of a dill on some brand-new jars on Craigslist.

Food storage is something I feel strongly about,
and for so many reasons --
celebrating the local harvest,
laying up in store for a day of need,
practicing self-sufficiency,
bringing the family together in the heart of the home,
preserving the skills of our mothers --

but most of all, to claim the blessing of peace:

“If ye are prepared ye shall not fear” (D&C 38:30).

What have you been preserving lately -- edible or otherwise?

6 comments:

April said...

The last thing I canned was a spiced nectarine pear jam. It's really good on ice cream! I put the recipe on my blog if you care to take a look.

Sarah said...

I've been meaning to preserve some peaches but haven't got around to doing it. D&C 38:30 is my favorite scripture.

A & E said...

well....i tried to can a few jars of raspberry jam this week, and a few of them exploded! so i'll give up that dream this year, but i'm planning on some delicious tomatoes and apples soon! it makes my heart so happy to see some in mah pantry.

Tom and Sherry said...

Gorgeous post, A!

Flattail Family said...

The F1s and I will soon be off on a canning sojourn back to Logan --can't miss the annual apple cider party, can we? And we have to pick our aunt's concord grapes to get our year's supply of grape juice.

Still haven't figured out how to can utilizing the harvest in our new location--bottled citrus just doesn't taste that good.

I did make a bunch of strawberry jam in the spring and have bottled chicken when it goes on sale, but other than that I haven't done too much.

Melanie said...

Great post. I whole-heartedly agree with all those reasons to preserve, and I think that's why it's picking up again and more and more people are preserving. And I love the photos collage. Could I use it for classes I teach on canning for work?