9.12.2011

tutorial: the wonky triangle improv block


Wonky is my fave, ok my only, style of quilting. 
I really, really suck at sewing perfect seams and matchy corners.
So, wonky quilting is sorta my quilting salvation.
No pins -- no pressure -- no perfect.
Love it.

This block was inspired by this delicious snippet (thanks, Jeni!). It's so sassy and I can't get it offa my mind.
Let's haul out some scraps! 


I'm going to make a doll quilt... 3 strips... 3 colorways. 
For this tutorial: oranges and yellows.

We'll be making a 6.5 x 18 in (16.5 x 45.5 cm) block.
It's super easy to make any width/length block you like; just make sure your scraps are 2-3 inches wider than the finished width of the strips.
(The strip I made for the do. Good Stitches bee was 48 inches long!)
Since I'm making a 6.5 in block, I'll be using scraps that are mostly 8.5 in and longer, in a variety of widths, mostly between 5-9 in.


1. Start with 2 scraps.
2. Place them right sides together at an appropriately rakish angle and stitch.
3. Press and trim the block to about 7 in. We'll trim the block to 6.5 in when it's all finished, but for now, we want to give ourselves a bit of wiggle room while still ensuring that we're sewing on each new piece in a linear fashion, yaknowwhaddimean?
4. Pick your next scrap and sew it to the block, right sides facing, at a slightly different angle. Easy!


5. Press. Here's the block so far.
6. Some of the scraps can cover more than one piece of the block at more extreme angles. Make it interesting!
7. Be sure you trim up from time to time before pressing.
8. Press and trim to 7 in.


9. Add interest by using some smaller scraps. Sew that sucka on...
10. Press it open...
11. And add another small scrap.
12. See? You're getting the hang of it.


13. Another method is to pre-piece a few smaller scraps together.
14. It's a bit more manageable, especially when you're nearing the end of the block.
15. I like to add the small pieces to both ends of the block.


Ta-da! All done.
Time for a nap.

Thanks for joining me -- I love this block and it is so deliciously easy and mind-clearing. 
Hope you have some fun with this!

8 comments:

BendingPins.com said...

Great tutorial, thanks!!

Isisjem said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm thinking I'd like to incorporate this into a pillow top!

Melissa said...

Lovely end product:) Great fabrics, too:)

Tori said...

Very nice! And I love your fabric choices!

The Thompsons said...

That's really cool! I'll have to try that one of these days.

chris said...

It looks even better in all those fun vintage fabrics.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Nicely done, Amanda! I might just copy you for my DGS block.

Dalya said...

Cool tutorial! I love how you used different shapes of scrap fabric! Often I see tuts using all pretty squared up scraps, lol :)