10.14.2011

yes to yellow

I always admire furniture makeovers on other blogs, but rarely work up the chutzpah to do any of my own. But then last weekend, I found this little pretty at a garage sale and immediately thought -- yellow!
Because I have to tell you the truth -- my decorating skills -- they stink. 
And whenever I get an idea as revolutionary as a yellow chair, well, just you watch out.
 I put on a couple of coats (BHG Dandy Lion, eggshell finish) and was just going to leave it at that, but then I remembered this spraypaint + lace tutorial from A Beautiful Mess a few weeks back. I love the extra little sass it gives the seat. If you try it, make sure your lace is ironed flat and taped to the furniture as snugly as possible. See those blurry spots in the pattern? That's where the lace wasn't snuggly enough with the chair.
Oh well! I love it anyway.
Any other fantastic furniture makeover ideas out there we need to hear about?
{ps. I changed my header again. I want to eat it.}
{pps. today I am doing GI Jane day where all us wives pretend we're infantrymen. hmm.}

18 comments:

Sam said...

Yes! to yellow. Good job.

chris said...

What a great find! Love the yellow...and the hazy lace. It adds character. The new header is snazzy. :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this!

Katie said...

I love yellow!! Have an industrial yellow pendant over my dining table and yellow curtains in my living room. Such a happy color!

You chair looks great and I think the lace detail is so surprising and fun. I may need to do something similar if I ever get to a furniture redo myself.

colimachia said...

Good job! V. pretty. I LOVE your new header! It's rad.

Anonymous said...

this is killer awesome!

April said...

The chair looks great! I love what you did with the seat, very inventive.

Jessica E said...

This is great! We have 2 similar style chairs left over from an old set that we refuse to get rid of, I might just have to try something like this with them!!

Melanie said...

How fun! I love it!

Anonymous said...

The chair looks fantastic- especially love the lace look. It's an inspiration to me to get out and do something - so many projects waiting... argh!

Tina said...

I love the yellow. I have yellow on my mind right now as well. I need some of your chutzpah to make the leap, I have a hard time leaving "beige and boring land" :) Hope you enjoyed your GI Jane day. Sounds like fun!

Brandi said...

beautiful job on your chair! I really like the pattern on the seat!!

MK said...

That's such an awesome idea!

Lora said...

so cute!

arajane said...

i love the chair and i absolutely love the new header!

P's Qs said...

I love the chair! I'm a big fan of Ana-white.com

TotallyContent said...

Oh, I love the yellow chair!!! And the lace idea really adds a great touch. Wonderful job!

Heather @CommonplaceBeauty said...

OMG I LOVE this chair. I'm visiting from Perfectly Imperfect!