6.23.2011

vintage sheet bee quilt top -- done!

Last night I got out my Vintage Sheet Bee blocks that I've been meaning to put together for-ev-ah. And oh! talk about a happy way to spend an hour on a summer evening. Vintage sheets just make me so stinkin' happy.


I sewed two blocks together really crooked, and as I was ripping them apart I thought of an article I read in the Ensign a while back. The author was talking about how ripping out just one stitch here and there can destroy a piece of sewn work, even though you might not notice it at first. Then she talked about how skipping scriptures and prayer here and there can weaken us without us even noticing.


I was adjusting my stitch length as I was thinking about that, then realized another parallel there -- the shorter the stitches, the stronger the seam. Likewise, I know that when I pray and read my scriptures more often and more consistently, I feel stronger and happier.

Parallels aside, I'm super excited about this quilt. I think I'm going to turn + tie it, rather than quilting + binding. More out of laziness/impatience than anything else. I can't decide whether to put in batting or whether to just sew backing + top together for a lightweight summer throw. Anyone have experience with that?

Epic thanks to the ladies of the Vintage Sheet Quilting Bee for this one! You can find my tutorial for this quilt block at my old blog.

Happy Thursday -- it's almost the weekend! Yay!

4 comments:

Tom and Sherry said...

Hi A...

Inspiring parallels. Stitch on!

Your great-grandmother's butterfly quilt has only heavy white flannel between top and bottom. That gives the blanket body without too much warmth. Also, it hides all that is going on inside the quilt.

Pretty setting for an energetic quilt!

xox/m

Anonymous said...

My Middle daughter's quilt has no batting, only the quilt top and backing. she hates to e too warm in bed and with this one I finally found a blanket she will use.

Lora said...

so awesome!

Dalya said...

This quilt is so gorgeous! Inspiring! I have a few vintage sheets, but I use them, lol. This makes me want to buy and hoard them!

I was reading around on sew mama sew that you could use cotton flannel instead of batting. It adds some thickness, but not like batting :) I too would use flannel if it were just a throw.
It would be awesome to see this quilt binded!