1.05.2012

my word for 2012: praise

Part of me wants to hold back on this post --
wait, can I really do this?
what if I mess it up? and everyone knows it?

So let me take a deep breath and tell you that my word for 2012 is praise.

Other contenders? present. grateful. joy.
But really -- what good thing is there that is not encompassed in the act of praise?
If I can find reason to praise God in every moment of every day,
will that not increase my gratitude and joy? will that not keep me in the present moment?

Anticipating a year of praise gives me a wonderful feeling, like 
toes at the edge of the ocean, like bike-ride hair flying on a warm summer day,
like the sun on my face and joy in my heart.


I hope you will join me in choosing your own word, if you feel like it.
Don't worry about reinventing the wheel. 
{Danielle, who is already such a beautiful woman of praise, chose praise for her word last year...} 
Just choose the word that tastes good. 

So without any particular plan, I hope you will let me share with you what I learn this year along my bumbling, meandering way on the path of praise. My faith throughout my life has mostly been a quiet sort of conviction. internal. While praise is something I've always equated with voice. exuberance. outwardness. And I think that praise can be those things -- but I also think that praise can be very much a combination of the two -- inward exuberance and delicious, soul-filling zeal, sometimes spoken, sometimes sung, but perhaps most often felt. 

I'm excited to find out.

5 comments:

Erin Bigler said...

I love the new word. My 2012 New Year's resolutions actually include saying "praise the Lord" more often--for most of the same reasons you listed above. Here's to a joyful year! God bless you.

Lora said...

i love it. what a fantastic word for the year! (really - for every year.) the older i get, the more i realize that the answer to every one of my problems is simply to lay it all down and praise the Lord. in my praise, comes peace, freedom, and joy. :)
have you heard the song by Enter the Worship Circle called "Praise Awaits You"? its one of my favorites!
here's the youtube link to hear it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2VPZiOBS5o
thanks for the inspiration!
lora

megan&steve said...

You are always inspiring others. Your description of toes hitting the ocean, warm summer days is what I love too. Mostly, I just wanted to tell you that you are Awesome! Hug your girlies for me. How is the house progress?

Diane said...

What an awesome way to approach resolution time. Brad asked me "What are your resolutions for this year?" And I was like, "What?! I have to have more than one?!" So, I really like this.

ter@waaoms said...

what a great word for the new year! I hope you have a wonderful 2012!

I've posted about my word of the year on my blog if you would like to read about it! :)