5.06.2011

breakfast: fruit with applesauce + tahini

You know how sometimes you make a recipe from a magazine, thinking it's going to be amazing, then halfway in you realize it was actually a really, really bad idea? Thankfully this was not one of those (although, halfway in, I thought it was going to be).


Last week I checked out some back issues of Whole Living from our little library (it's the size of a small house! So cute). It made me feel really inspired to cut back on processed foods (except for Ben and Jerry's, obviously). I'm no purist.

Some of the recipes in WL make me raise an eyebrow (creamy kale salad? not so much.), but fresh fruit with applesauce + tahini turned out to be a winner.


All it is: applesauce + tahini + honey (I left out the water), drizzled over fresh fruit. At first I thought the applesauce mixture was meant to be eaten alone, which it isn't, which is what made me think, halfway in, the recipe was actually a really, really bad idea. Thankfully, it tastes amazing in moderation, and the girls and I gobbled it up for breakfast. Take a hike, Marshmallow Mateys.

Anybody have some grand outside-the-cereal-box ideas for breakfast?

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Our local library actually IS a little house! Love it.

As for tahini for breakfast... I may just take your word for it.

April said...

Sounds weird, but I believe you that it's good.

Have you read Nourishing Traditions? If not, I highly recommend it.

cc said...

What an interesting new way to eat tahini! I'll be trying this tomorrow.

Evie said...

Hi! I found you via the spring top sew along on flickr. I have to say - I recently had a creamy kale salad which is probably similar. The ingredients sounded very strange... BUT... it was INCREDIBLE. I'm partial to kale though. Mine was made with quinoa. Don't count it out quite yet :)