5.27.2011

rhubarb comes to new york


There are lots of nice things about having a farmer for a next-door neighbor (a tractor snow plow and maple syrup come to mind, besides that they're just super nice people). It's also nice that they have about a billion rhubarb plants and are happy to offload a few pounds here and there.


Side note: new sandals this week. We each picked our own, can you tell?
{oh that toddler tummy! nibble nibble!}


Strawberry-rhubarb compote: 1.5 pounds chopped rhubarb + 1 cup sugar + 1/4 cup water, cook till it's falling apart, then add the zest + juice of 1 lemon and a bunch of chopped strawberries. It's like strawberry-rhubarb pie without the crust (which, ok, is half the point, but jeez, a lot easier).


{Red white and blue! Happy Memorial Day weekend!}

Breakfast. And lunch. And midnight snack. Yum.

7 comments:

Tina said...

You've got me salivating. Yay for flip flops. I just love little chubby feet and toes in flip flops. It makes my heart melt. Must be warming up there! Have a great weekend!

Brown Chick said...

Rhubard is one of my very favorite things. I love to make it into a pie.

Love the flip-flops. Amelia has a pair just like your daughter's pink sparkly ones, except they are purple. Target rocks!

Brown Chick said...

Oops, I meant to post that under my other blog.

April

TotallyContent said...

I LOVE rhubarb!! Especially rhubarb pie. How lucky you are to have such cool neighbors. I don't think I'd ever move......

Tom and Sherry said...

Can I have some?

Mandi Stephanie said...

ooo looks yummy!
ps - i loved your giveaway and blog and have linked to you here :)
http://makeitdear.blogspot.com/2011/05/lost-giveaway-post.html

Alison said...

YAY! Thank you for this! My sweet neighbor gave me some rhubarb and I don't know how the heck to work with it without screwing it up (my mother says rhubarb is a fickle plant in our family).