11.09.2011

dear fear, meet my dream

I've got some fears. Oh yes I do.
Sharks. Large spiders. Bad accidents. Parenting toddlers.
Starting an all-girl bluegrass band.
{I know. whaa?}

It's been #1 on my list of dream/fears for a loooong time. 
I want to be in an all-girl bluegrass band. 
Except that I can't play the guitar. or the banjo. or the bass. or the mandolin. I don't know how to play by ear. I can only read music...some of the time. Except that I don't really know my chords, either. Or really much theory at all. And I stink at counting. And just who is going to be in this all-girl bluegrass band of mine, anyway?


I mentioned this dream/fear to my friend Martha one day. She laughed, then said it was awesome. A few weeks later, she called me. Let's get together and jam, was the gist of it.

And I thought, But I can't play the guitar. or the banjo, bass, or mandolin. I don't know enough music theory to say what key I want to play in, and I can't play by ear. But the pull and tug and promise of a dream fulfilled was too much to pass up.

 I found an old hippy named Bill with an autoharp for rent -- 'cause the autoharp seemed unthreatening enough. I drove almost 3 hours {one way!} to get it. It's the easiest thing in the world to play -- so easy, in fact, that boy howdy and hot dang, I think I'm going to get myself a guitar and learn how to play that sucker. The joy of singing along to Yankee Doodle with my little ones is just too much to hand back to Bill along with the autoharp when the rental month is over.

Speaking my dream out loud -- Martha's encouragement -- Bill's autoharp -- have given me courage.

And just like that, I am brave.

And even though I can't play the guitar, or the banjo, or the fiddle, and I couldn't tell you a diminished seventh from an augmented seventh, this dream is mine, with all the joy and none of the once-lingering insecurity.


I'll invite you to our first gig.

Your turn, should you feel so inclined.
Which of your fears are getting in the way of your dreams?
What excuses have you been clinging to like sinking life boats?

Are you ready to speak your dream out loud?

Be brave and share with us!
And don't forget to stop by sometime -- I'd so love to see you around.
Thanks for having me, Ms. Melinda Joy! 
{You are my favorite.}

No comments: