11.07.2011

pattern review: simplicity 2594


My sewing mojo is back with a vengeance, and this little pattern is just what did it.
Fast, simple, and really satisfying.

Difficulty: intermediate; some familiarity with attaching a yoke is useful
Time: one evening, start to finish, including pre-washing and cutting fabric
Fabric: cotton sateen from Liesl Gibson's Lisette collection, purchased at Jo Ann
Special techniques: cutting pieces on the bias, pleats, gathering, yoke
Version: A, without the belt

Other notes: This pattern reminds me the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress, only for grownups (and with a cowl neck, obvi). There are also pleats on one shoulder, which I (((love.))) The cotton sateen doesn't drape quite as nicely as I thought it would; it still looks ok, but I like to wear it with a cardigan or light coat to help smoosh down the cowl a little. Next time I plan to use something drapier. The dolman sleeves are very cute, but they are very roomy in the underarm and I will wear a little shirt beneath it in the warmer months. The pattern instructions for attaching the back yoke are a little confusing and it took a bit of head-scratching to figure out, even though I had done it before on the ice cream dress. I do like the fact that this top completely covers the booty-crack zone {mine is always escaping}.


8 comments:

Toni said...

You are too cute! Great top and I appreciate the pattern review as I could totally see me attempting this. I love the back so much that I might even be tempted to make it a front...

A & E said...

and how lady-and i love the funky jacket paired with it. you look sassy.

I WISH WISH WISH YOU WERE COMING FOR THANKSGIVING.......seriously i'm kind of sad that we won't be able to gorge on peppermint joe joe's and talk craftiness and how funny/weird our kids are. :)

Lora said...

so cute! :)

Anonymous said...

skills! super cute

Anonymous said...

the top is adorable and i applaud your willingness to address your booty crack zone openly. ;P

Tina said...

Great job! I also love the pleats on the shoulders. It looks great with the jacket!

beth said...

very cute! i keep seeing that fabric at Joann's and i love it, but couldn't picture it as something! now I can!

Anonymous said...

Hello!

This post was featured on Simplicity’s Facebook page. I will include the link to the page so you can have a look. Please invite your followers to see your post on our page. I hope you continue doing wonderful work and include simplicity into your designs.

http://www.facebook.com/simplicitypatterns#!/simplicitypatterns