11.02.2011

mini tutorial: layered lace skirt

I saw this delicious little lace skirt in the little girl's section at Target a 
few weeks ago and it has been on my mind ever since...
I thought it would be pretty easy to knock off, and I was right!
This is a good beginner's project, if you're just getting your feet wet.. err, oiled.. with your sewing machine.

I cheated and didn't gather each layer of lace like the original skirt. It makes for a different end result, but I still like it a lot. Using a skirt that fits your child as a guide, cut two rectangles of jersey. I angled mine in a little so that they're more like trapezoids. Depending on the size of the skirt, cut about 12 strips of lace. They should be about 2 inches wide and long enough to cover the width of the skirt. You may need more or fewer strips for your skirt, depending on its size.


Place one strip of lace flush with the bottom of one jersey piece. Sew the lace to the jersey by stitching a straight line across the top of the lace strip. {pins help. a lot.} Pin the next strip of lace to the skirt, overlapping the two lace strips just so that the upper strip covers the line you just sewed. Stitch the second strip down. Keep going until you've covered the whole piece, then repeat with the other jersey piece.

Trim off excess lace and sew the two short sides of the skirt together so that you have one long piece of lovely lacey fabric. Cut an elastic waistband to fit your child. Gather the skirt so that it is the same length as the piece of elastic you just cut. Sew the waistband to the skirt, right sides together. Flip the waistband up, then sew the short sides of the skirt together. Tack down the top layer of lace in a few places, if necessary.

I'm not sure how to do the top layer so that it wouldn't stick out. Maybe using a lining would somehow help that? I'm kinda ok with it since their shirts will cover it up anyway.


You could get all fancy and hem it or even add that lining, but let's not get carried away.
I will probably hand wash them so that the lace won't get too frazzled,
but they will only wear them to church, so {theoretically} they won't get too dirty.


She looks so old! When did that happen? Is it the turtleneck?

7 comments:

Brie said...

I saw that same skirt and I love it! Maybe I'll just make my own :)

Muffin said...

It's her hair! Look at that long straight hair! I'd like to know the pose she's doing :)

April said...

I saw the same skirt and wanted it for Amelia. Would you say it's cheaper to make it or buy it?

Amanda Fetters said...

I think it depends on whether you already have some of the stuff on hand, and if you can get a good sale on the other stuff. I already had the lace, then bought the jersey and the elastic for a whopping total of $3.75 (at Jo Ann and the jersey was 40% off and I had a coupon for the elastic). That made 2 skirts, so I guess the bottom line is that it's cheaper to make! :)

Chad said...

girl, this rocks.
going to make some for my chickens.
and she does look so old! lizzy, you are so cute.

Unknown said...

I saw those skirts too! I really like your non ruffly version. I think I have some black lace AND black jersey. Maybe I can get my sewing mojo back too!

Tina said...

Nice job on the skirt. The Big Miss sure is looking older these days! (Who said they could grow up?!?)