11.23.2011

learning time: crayons and colors

Happy Thanksgiving week! We're busy packing, demo-ing, moving, and unpacking this week, so I've got some lovely little pre-fab posts up my sleeve. Hugs, kisses, be back soon!

Since it's gotten colder, we've been spending less time outside and more time inside... watching TV.
I love me some Spongebob, but not alllll the time.
{besides, his laugh really is horrible.}
SO we've started doing learning time, sort of a mini home-preschool.
The girls love it and pester me every morning until it's finally time for learning time. 

Every day I have a little theme picked out, usually based on a library book. 
Last week we talked about crayons and colors, and it was fun.


{can you imagine doing that job?}

Historically I have not been a big crafts-with-kids person, but learning time is changing that.
There are zillions of ideas online. I like this site.


The night before, I dyed some macaroni (mix 2 teaspoons rubbing alcohol with 6-8ish drops food coloring and mix with 2-3 handfuls uncooked macaroni in a ziploc bag; rinse out the bag, make another color, and let it all air dry on plastic wrap or wax paper) for a rainbow project.


I printed this coloring page at 120%, then the girls painted it with watered-down glue and stuck on the macaroni {I brought out one color at a time to avoid mass chaos}. I sort of wish I would have just divided a piece of cardstock into 6 equal rectangles; the skinny curves were hard for ms. M to navigate.


Success!
This week we're doing Thanksgiving stuff. So excited.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

This reminds me of the Mister Rogers episode where he visited a crayon factory... it CHANGED my life. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIgPLVjo-S8

Much pre-thanksgiving love!!
xo ~N

Jillian said...

Love it! If you run out of project ideas, I've heard that Five in a Row is a great program that bases 5 lessons in a row on a book (like you did above). Never used it myself, but I've had friends who loved it.

Rae said...

yeah I was totally going to say MISTER ROGERS too!! :)

Diane said...

Don't you love how excited little ones get to learn something new . . . or just do something with mom? I love that my kids look forward to our preschool time. It definitely makes me feel like I'm doing something right. I'm going to have to check out that website. Thanks for sharing.