3.29.2012

on being a power drill weenie

So my man has been gone for a month. (Not deployed. Just in training.)

In Army life, that isn't too big of a deal. But still. It's a deal. 'Specially when you're cooking a small human inside your tummy and you have two other small humans outside your tummy to look after.

After a month by my onesie, I am so happy to tell you that 1) he's coming home, and 2) I ain't afraid of no stinking power drill no more. I decided that it was time to quit being such a weenie about drills, hammers, anchors, nails, screws, and other previously intimidating-to-me "manly" objects. and really? It's empowering to wield a power drill with a big mean bit on it with a big ole pregnant belly, to boot. 'Specially when I'm out with my belly in front of my house on a ladder drilling holes into the front of my house. Makes people drive by reeeeal slow.

Anyway, my point is, I drilled holes in a bunch of crap this month. Like my walls. Which is really not all that exciting. 
Except that it is.


My first attempt using anchors. I'm dumbfounded that it's still on the wall. Like, securely.



Ta-da! music box with wheels.


I found the most awesome vintage hook to use as a curtain holdback. Print from Graphic Anthology.


Sexy glasses, eh? This is a funny picture because my man is not short. He's 5'9. His commander is just ha-yuge.

Welcome home, love. I missed you. You can have your drill back now.

7 comments:

A & E said...

pregnant + using a drill = toughest lady around. ow! ow!

and i love the hooks for your curtains.

Tom and Sherry said...

LOVE the dragonfly! ("bring good luck")

Sarah said...

You and are so in the same shoes! David will be gone for 6 weeks (although he is coming home this weekend so only 4 more weeks). I'm going to be doing some house stuff this week before he gets up here so he can get to work when he comes home. Being pregnant and him being gone stinks though cause I can't really do much in the way of heavy lifting. Glad you get your man back!

arajane said...

while i have loved my power drill for a long time, i just recently became friends with wall anchors. i can't believe i was intimidated by them before! so handy and so so so sturdy! (also, i love the image of you pregnant on a ladder drilling into your house... cute!)

Jessica E said...

Glad he's coming home!! I am also pregnant and my hubby has been gone for work for basically the last three months, luckily for me he gets to come home on the weekends but it's still tough...he's about done now so yay!
Awesome job with the power tools...always empowering to know you can use them!

Diane said...

All those people who were driving by were probably thinking, "Crazy pregnant lady! Get down! You're going to hurt yourself!" I always do kind of insane things when I'm pregnant. For some reason I don't see any reason waiting for Brad to do it, because it must be done NOW! Because when pregnancy is dominating, then all rational thought goes OUT of my head. Remember when you were pregnant with Lizzy and you were almost embarrassed to own up to scrapbooking? Like it was all those hormones forcing you to get all scrappy? (maybe that was just my perception of your endearingness) Maybe this whole drill thing is like that. Your pregnancy hormones have taken over and you must get that new house in order. Anyway, you totally rock and I love envisioning you running around the house, bun in the oven, drilling holes left and right.

(And you're right - your parents are the best!)

buy woodworking tools australia said...

I was thinking the exact same thing Diane. That must be the reason people are driving by slowly. It's not everyday you see a pregnant woman up on a ladder with a drill.