2.22.2012

blimey, it's lemony and limey!

I have had a big thing for citrus lately. That bright, tart-sweet loveliness that fills your mouth and your memory with warmer days. This winter has been unbelievably mild around these parts, but I am starting to itch a little bit for some bare feet in the grass, know what I mean?
Two recipes I've been loving this week: lemon poppy seed muffins and lime marmalade.
Now that I think of it, I haven't tried eating them together. Time to remedy that?
Some notes on both...
I never use tin liners for muffins, but in this case I should have. They are pretty delicate. I made a couple of changes to the recipe -- I rubbed the lemon zest into the sugar before creaming, and then at the end, I poked lots of holes into each muffin top with a fork before applying the glaze with a pastry brush. That way the glaze gets really deep into the muffin {yum}. 

The marmalade was a total impulse thing {hmm, it's 3 pm, let's can!}. The last time I made this was in like 2005 in Ramona's little basement apartment that we rented FOR FREE. Those were the days. You can eat it on muffins or scones or whatever, but we eat it almost exclusively on corn muffins {you seriously will not find a better recipe than this one; your grandma is really nice, but this kicks her cornbread's trash} when we're having chili or taco soup.

Muffin time for this mama. Again.  

2 comments:

A & E said...

oh mama, that looks so good-together! i'm going to have to try that. i have eaten 1/2 a box of girl scout cookies and it's only 11am.

Nelda said...

Thanks for encouraging me to think of Ramona again... as the little girl growing up through the block from her, I always thought of her as some kind of age-less Superwoman.