2.16.2012

gimp girl tutorial: rounded photo corners

Happy Thursday, lovely Marigoldlets! 
Here's a simple way to add vintage flair to your photos: round the corners.
Takes less than 30 seconds, once you get the gist.
Ready, go.

{new to gimp? it's like photoshop, only free. start here and here.}

First, open an image using Gimp.


Next, Select > Rounded Rectangle.


The Rounded Rectangle dialogue box will appear.
You can play with the radius percentage {how curvy your curve will be}. 
I set mine to 25%.


After hitting OK, you'll notice that part of your image {the larger part} is selected.
We want to get rid of those tiny triangles in the corners, so we'll invert the selection.
So, Select > Invert.


Edit > Clear and say goodbye to those triangles.


Now Select > None...


...now you're ready to add some deco tape and call it a day.


{you know the only reason I do this is to subject you to otherwise irrelevant but crazy cute pictures of my offspring... right?}

3 comments:

April said...

I love rounded corners. Super cute! I'm glad you posted this. I've never heard of gimp, and picnic is closing so I need something else to edit my photos with. Also, it looks like gimp has a lot more options, which is a plus.

chris said...

I love how your photo turned out...and the tape on top was a perfect touch. Someday I will have some time to sit down and figure out gimp. I'm glad I can look back through your tutorials!

A & E said...

thanks for posting this lady. i need the tutorials as i am somewhat challenged in these areas. :)