7.01.2011

friday finds: vintage girl scout dress + clip art freebies


How cool is this?! I found this vintage Girl Scout dress on sale for $20 at this fabulous little local shop. It fits perfectly, except that I need to do something to make it just a smidge longer (ideas? please??). As far as I can tell, it's from the 1930s(!) and is industrially made with several hand-stitched alterations. I am in love with the inverted box pleats at the sides and (of course!) the merit badges.

I wore this dress the other day when the girls and I went to get the car's oil changed. The Mobil on our little main street is a happenin' place -- it's where the old guys hang out (no really -- this is the awesomeness of living in a village with no stop lights -- they insist on filling your gas for you, remember your name, and notice when there's a chip in your windshield they didn't see last time).

Anyway. An old guy hanging out at the Mobil asked me if I was in Cub Scouts. I told him no, I just like the dress. I think he thought I was crazy.

And lo! I did a little scanny-scanning, et voila! The badge file is in PNG format, and the fabric is a really huge JPG for backgrounds + the like.

Have fun with these!


10 comments:

elizabeth said...

That is an amazing find!!!!!

childishkim said...

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to see whose dress that was? And the 1930's things she had to do get those badges? I think you'd better work on your basket making - in case someone calls your bluff on it. :)

Diane said...

Awesome! That's about the cutest thing ever! You look pretty dang chic in it too!

Loulou said...

Oh, you got it in my shop, An Eclectic Boutique in Carthage NY. 301 State St. It's one of Sandra's awesome finds. Come and check out all the new things we got in.

Mommy Minded said...

too adorable!

Tom and Sherry said...

Fantastic...and not too short. :-)

Nicole said...

ideas:

1) GIRLIE-IT-UP: make a dark green poplin ruched underskirt that peeks out the bottom (maybe even with some chunky lace detail, a la a mexican dress, at the bottome??)

2) KEEP IT STANDARD: get some darker chambray and add it to the bottom, either flat or pleated cleanly. Maybe even stitch in a little flag/ribbon detail!

; )

Em said...

I second Nicole's "clean" idea-I was thinking a pleated trim would be sweet. Or maybe add some darker shade but on a diagonal.
BTW I just found your blog through pinterest-someone pinned about your upcoming friendship bracelet swap.

Anonymous said...

What a neat dress. You look divine in it! It's wonderful that such an appreciator found that treasure!

Jen said...

Just found this and would love to download the goodies, but the link has expired. )c: Do you have another option for these>