2.01.2011

buffalo plaid dress refashion

Well, goodness! I might have to ask R to stick a pin in my head tonight -- thanks for all the sweet comments and great suggestions! I decided to take the path of least resistance: I chopped out the middle of the dress and used the existing hemline to make a minidress, moving the gathered waistline up to the natural waist.



I almost shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length, but it's still really cold here (in case you missed the memo), so I kept them long for now. They might get whacked once it gets warmer. I did take them in by several inches so that they are now maybe a hair too small, but eh, it still fits.



I didn't plan this, but I love how it looks peeking out from underneath my pea coat (I've worn that sucker every winter for the past 13 years -- it's a winner). I wore it out on errands today with a chunky knit cream-colored scarf and black boots. I originally wanted to wear it with a wide black belt, but they didn't have my size at Wal-Mart (tangent: I am reading The World is Flat, which helps a little in justifying such practices as shopping at Wal-Mart, but I am not sure how I feel about that, but that is neither here nor there) and besides, the skinny belt I got is reversible. Like you can twist the buckle around and suddenly it's a tan belt. Awesomeness.



This last picture is for my dad, who, when I was talking about this dress with my mom on the phone, hollered in the background (with reference to the previous post), "Why isn't she smiling??"

Plaid is rad, yo!

16 comments:

Kara said...

Such a cute redo. You did a great job.

Tina G said...

You rock! I would have never thought to get something like that and turn it into what you have now! I love how it looks peeking out of your pea coat. My, such style! I have a reversible belt too! It makes so much more sense to get 2 for the price of one!

amy smart said...

Amazing, you are. I could have never envisioned such a transformation.

muffin said...

I love the last one - cute and sassy. I'm jealous of your boots - even if I can only see an itty bit.

andrea said...

Adorable! and you are right, it looks great with your coat.

gatherparadise said...

Doesn't even look like the same dress. Good job Amanda!

S said...

Metamorphosis! Bravo!!

Kimberly Heath said...

Looks great! Love it!

jessica Anerson said...

So super cute! now your a hot lumberjack! your going to need a stylish axe to match that!! jk.... I really, really love it! You are once again, amazing! yahoo!

megan said...

Thanks for the smile & Sassy new dress with the skinny belt. Great coat too thats lasted you sooo long.
Super stylin'

April said...

I have to admit when I saw your first post about this dress that I thought there was no way that it could be made into something fit to wear. Obviously I totally underestimated your talent. I love what you did with it! I would look horrible in something like that, but it suits your tall/lean figure very well and is super cute with the belt, leggings and boots.

jane said...

and I say that any opportunity I get :-)

jane said...

super super cute! The new look is so becoming on you! Fabulous job.

side note....boo to walmart.

S* said...

Fun dress/shirt. Gorgeous smile!

Pam O said...

Presh! Love it!

D said...

You're too cute! I'd love to see it with 3/4 sleeves. Good call there. And I can't believe how big Maren is getting!