2.02.2011

snow day, dreaming of food

Bread progress is happening. I was having trouble getting my sourdough culture off the ground, but I think it's just about ready to rock. The last loaf I made was so flat and misshapen, I was too depressed to take a picture of it. A few days later I made some ciabatta (not using sourdough), which turned out really nicely.



A couple of months ago we started getting raw (unpasteurized, unhomogenized) organic milk from a local farmer (more info on raw milk here). It tastes completely different from store-bought milk, and I feel good about having it for my family. Depending on where you live, it can take quite a bit of sleuthing to track it down, but if you can find a source -- particularly if that source is organic -- it's totally worth the trouble. And it makes the best yogurt.



Also, the farmer from whom I buy milk is Amish. As in, buggy-drivin', straw hat-wearin', Dutch-speakin' Amish. I read a fascinating book that helped me understand their culture a little bit better. It really is a different world, and it captures my imagination every time I visit.

I think I need one of these fancy chocolate bars, but I'm not sure whether I'd pick the A'Chocolypse or the Peanut Butter & Chipotle. Speaking of which, we made some peanut butter ice cream last night (that I totally forgot to take pictures of) and ate it with brownies and hot fudge sauce. Yep.

The Man got a snow day from work today, yee haw! So we are snuggling in by the fire, building trains, cleaning floors, stitching things, baking bread, watching movies, and napping (happy sigh).

3 comments:

Tara said...

The bread looks yummy! We love to buy donuts from the Amish. Soo good! Yup, we're snowed in here too. Our school is closed and it never closes! Stay snug!

Jenny said...

We used to drink that kind of milk when dad milked cows. Does R remember that?

And your sandwich looks so yummy!!

April said...

You are SO lucky to have a source of raw, organic milk. I've searched and searched and we don't have one. Your bread looks awesome!