3.10.2011

macaroons in half an hour



You love macaroons or you hate 'em. I've never been one to say "no" to a macaroon, but I'm not in the habit of making them. That might be about to change.

I needed cookies for an Army pot luck last night (hence the phrase "too easy" -- an Army oddity). Enter macaroons. 6 ingredients, 4 dirty dishes, and 35 minutes later (including baking and cooling time), we were in business. And, like pretty much all recipes from Cook's Illustrated, they're really freaking good.

Fast Macaroons
From Cook's Illustrated: The Quick Recipe

1 large egg white
1/3 c sugar
1/8 t salt
1 1/4 c sweetened flaked coconut
2 T cornstarch
4 oz semisweet chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Whisk together the egg white, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Toss the coconut and cornstarch together in a medium bowl, making sure to thoroughly coat the coconut with the cornstarch. Pour the liquid ingredients over the coconut mixture and mix with a rubber spatula until evenly moistened.

Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Form the cookies into loose haystacks with your fingertips.

Bake until light golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Cool until slightly set, about 2 minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack.

While the cookies are baking, melt the chocolate in the microwave at 50% power or over a pan of simmering water. Dip the cooled macaroons in the chocolate, scrape off the excess with a spatula, and replace on the parchment-lined baking sheet. If you need the cookies to set quickly (all the sooner to eat, right?), pop the sheet in the freezer.

Makes 12 (and multiplies easily).

10 comments:

Evelyn said...

Oh yum! I am in the macaroon love camp. With posts like these, it's no wonder I can't lose weight. Luckily, I don't have any chocolate in the pantry. But hmmm... they'd probably still be tasty without it. Darn you, Amanda! ;-)

Tara said...

That was too funny. We were looking for something to make last night and it was between macaroons and brownies. We made the brownies. Tonight I think we'll make the macaroons. This weather has gotten us going for the sweets! Great idea about dipping them in the chocolate! My dad has celiac's disease and this is one thing he can eat.

April said...

I adore macaroons. Have you ever had the big ones that you can find at restaurants sometimes? Those are totally up my alley. I've never had them dipped in chocolate. I'm a macaroon purist. :-)

melissa said...

Yummy!!! I can't wait to try this recipe:)

S said...

Fancy!

Shawna said...

Those look SO GOOD! I love coconut, and I love chocolate, and I LOVE them together! I am attempting to go off of chocolate starting next week until...um, September...so I'll have to try it in 6 months :)

amy smart said...

So cool to see you highlighted at Sew Mama!! WOO!

D said...

I'm going to have to try these! coconut! Chocolate! Mmmm!

Melanie said...

Um... YUM! My first time ever making macaroons was a few weeks before Christmas and they turned out to be awful! I was so disappointed. I love macaroons, but I've never made them, and my mom who is a big baker never made them either.

I'm excited you posted this! I think I'll give them a try soon!

Melanie said...

I always see packages of coconut macaroons at the store and I'm always tempted to buy them. I have to try these out. Off to the store for some coconut.