3.17.2011

when life gives you lemons...



Not that life has been tart around here, per se -- but a little practice never hurts, ya know?

Shaker lemon pie is one of those things that, if it were in me, I'd bake and FedEx overnight one to every single person I know. It isn't my #1 favorite pie, but the novelty of it just kills me -- whole lemons! pith, peel, and all! -- baked into a custardy, marmaladey, unforgettably zesty conglomeration (maybe not the right word for pie?) of deliciousness. It makes my eyes smile (mouth, too).

These photos are of the second recipe I tried for this pie, which was good, but we liked the first version we tried even more.

Shaker Lemon Pie
from Cook's Country Magazine, April/May 2008

Note: Slicing the lemons is easiest if you put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes, then slice them with a serrated knife.

1 double-crust pie dough
3 large lemons, halved lengthwise and sliced as thinly as humanly possible
1 3/4 c sugar
1/8 t salt
1 T cornstarch
4 eggs
1 T cream

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 425 F. Line 9-inch pie plate with 1 dough round and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Squeeze lemon slices in fine-mesh strainer set over bowl; reserve juice (you should have 6 T). Bring drained slices and 2 c water to boil in a small saucepan, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain well and discard liquid. Combine softened lemon slices, sugar, salt, and 1/4 c reserved lemon juice in bowl; stir to dissolve sugar.

Whisk cornstarch and remaining lemon juice in large bowl. Whisk eggs into cornstarch mixture, then slowly stir in lemon slice mixture until combined. Pour into chilled pie shell. Brush edges of dough with 1 t cream and top with remaining dough round. Seal, crimp edges, and brush top of dough with remaining cream. Cut 4 vents in the top.

Bake until light golden, about 20 minutes, then decrease oven temperature to 375 F and continue to bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving. Pie can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for 2 days.

{resources}
chalkboard :: kitschy digitals
fonts :: print clearly and learning curve via dafont
buntings :: lemon tree studio

8 comments:

D said...

I always know that when you post a recipe it's going to be good! I'm so excited about this one!!!

Tara said...

Lemons are on sale at Price Chopper this week! I'll be making this! Thanks for the recipe!

christsavesme said...

This looks yummy! I've never made a lemon pie, but may try this one.

megan said...

You can box a piece up and send me a sample. I will gladly welcome that.
Have a fun weekend, friend.

muffin said...

love the baby girl hands helping out. :)

S said...

I want to kiss those hands!

Thanks for sharing this one...me thinks GG will be in heaven. He loves lemon pie and was asking why he hasn't seen one coming out of our kitchen recently.

Flattail Family said...

We'll have to try this one out (if I can find the time) before our fresh lemons are out of season.

Megan said...

Oh baby! This might be my next pie to try! I also need that peach pie tapioca recipe you made for us in Logan, when we played Cities and Knights! Tom and I still talk about that deliciousness. :)