3.03.2011

frankie + jensie



Erin approached me a few weeks ago about making some skirts for her two girls, Frankie and Jensie. After hashing out a few basic preferences and details, Erin completely handed me the reins and told me to go for it (sah-weet!).



I pulled all the fabrics from my collection that Erin specifically requested, then started looking for coordinating fabrics. It's kind of a challenge when you're working with vintage linens, as the options are limited and there isn't always a perfect mate for every fabric. My favorite is this funky olive double-layered skirt. The print I used for the blue underskirt threw me for a loop when I held it up next to the olive print, and I spent hours saying to myself, "I think this works...does it work? It works, right??" I love it, though, and I'm planning to make one in my size, too!



Once I'd made the fabric pairing choices, I assigned a skirt style to each pairing (or threesome). Sometimes the number of fabrics in a group dictates the skirt style; other times it's decided by the amount of fabric I have available. Right now I'm using three skirt designs: two-tiered, three-tiered, and double-layered (with the underskirt).



If you're feeling inspired, come on in to the shop to design your own custom skirt -- for girls, and now for women, too!

I hope you love 'em, Frankie and Jensie, you cute girls!

7 comments:

jenn said...

It was cool that I knew who you were talking about. Love the skirts! You are so talented.

April said...

Super cute skirts, as always! I especially love the 2-layer ones. The olive print/blue work really well together.

Becky said...

Super cute! I love the vibrant colors!

Evelyn said...

They look fantastic! I like how you used the hem on the green checked fabric. Awesome! I love to see those sheets in action!

Erin Bigler said...

Thanks Amanda. These are terrific! The girls love them.

Corktree said...

Wow, such cute combinations! I may have to order a new one for Julia this summer. Ooh, and me! You know, since I'm no longer pregnant... ;)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Oh, my goodness - wish I had some discretionary spending! those skirts are allllllll great. The very first one is my favorite. Love.